Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Shadowdark is My Favorite Version of 5E

I like the other alternate 5E systems. Tales of the Valiant keeps the familiar chassis and sands off some of the worst 5E edges. Level Up Advanced 5E gives you more options, more depth, and more things to tinker with if that’s the game you want. Both are solid. I own them, I’ve run them, I get why people like them.

Shadowdark is the one I actually want to play.

It’s clean. It’s simple. It’s easy. You sit down, you make a character in minutes, and you’re in the dungeon. No feat tax, no bloated skill list, no “let me look that up” every other round. The traditional DC system just works: roll d20, add your modifier, beat the number. That’s it.

And it handles magic perfectly.

No spell slots. You know your spells. You try to cast one by rolling against a DC based on the spell’s tier. Succeed, and it happens — you can try it again later. Fail, and that spell is gone until you rest. Natural 1 and something goes wrong (mishap table for wizards, atonement for priests). That’s it. Magic feels dangerous again instead of being a reliable toolbox you manage like a spreadsheet.

I’m not flipping through hundreds of pages of rules just to sit down and play a game. One book. Real-time torch. Darkness that actually matters.

This isn’t a traditional rules-light game. There aren’t many rules, but the ones that exist- the real-time torch, the tight focus, the way failure actually costs you- create an intense experience. Shadowdark is laser-focused on dungeon runs. It does dungeon crawling better than 5E.

Mainstream 5E feels more interested in character-building. It puts the burden of balancing the mess the players’ creativity creates on the referee. “I’m a monk-warlock-paladin!” What is even that? What game-breaking powers does this combo bring to the table? I’m sure we’ll all find out together and suffer through it as the adventure is blown through with ease.

If I want expansions, they’re there. The community has published a lot of good stuff — extra classes, new ancestries, whole settings, adventures that slot right in. Variety is there for the taking if that’s what you’re after.

But the core stays tight. The torch timer keeps the table moving. There’s no time to debate the perfect multiclass combo or flip through three sourcebooks looking for the right feat. The light is burning. The dungeon is waiting. You either go forward, or you go back.

That’s the difference. 5E keeps adding more character options and then asks the referee to make it all work. Shadowdark gives you a focused game and lets the community add the extras on top if you want them. The crawl itself never gets buried.

That’s the game I want to run tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment