Pages

Friday, August 30, 2024

All Old-School Games Belong Together

I love all the old-school games, and OSE sits beside my copy of Shadowdark. There is a mess of fighting in a few circles about these games, which is best ignored.

I would rather spend my time playing and having fun.

To some, everything has to be a fight, and all I do is unsubscribe from their YouTube channels. I don't care if I agree with one side or the other if they call each other idiots and bad actors; sorry, you get an unsub today. Some of them hurt losing because I liked them, and they provided great old-school content, but I'm sorry, I don't support feeding into this anger, and I don't even watch the rants. I don't reply to Twitter threads, I don't share them, and I let it go.

Again, I suspect this is less about anyone having a problem with these games and more about people coming in from outside the community to cause drama and fights. People smell a fight, and they jump in to stir the pot. Most of them probably never touched any of the games they complain about.

As a result, I am storing a few creators' games. If they feed into this circular firing squad, I am out. Some of them I really liked, but now they leave a bad taste in my mouth.

I will replace them with companies that take a "no drama" stance, like Shadowdark and C&C. I am now rethinking Castles & Crusades and may include coverage here (it is fantastic, but it is just not that gonzo-style). I like companies that "keep the drama out" and focus on the game and players.

All old-school games belong together.

No comments:

Post a Comment